KICK ASS RED!
Isn’t it true that the red lip is to makeup what high heels are to fashion? The blazing red lip is such a classic that as soon as it’s declared “over” it’s back within six months! Why? Because a red lip is the quintessential anti-drab cure (Can you see me now?) the epitomy of sophistication (I am NOT just a simple girl!), it gives a woman some sass and attitude (Red lipstick is not practical, but, so what?), it even creates a bit of distance between her and whoever might get too close (Dahling, if you kiss me I will brand you like a red hot iron!).
But not all red colors are created equal. If you’ve ever set foot in a paint store or looked at a Pantone color guide you might have noticed that there are a zillion different shades of red, from ruby, crimson to carmine and oxblood. Every wave of popularity brings new shades that feel new and exciting.
Right now a very vibrant shade of poppy red, with a slight hint of orange is spreading like wildfire in a dry forest.
I am a huge fan of this type of color. It’s a vast departure from a classic, SERIOUS red – you know, the type of color that’s beautiful but will inevitably age you somewhat. The new shades have an incredible vibrancy and saturation that convey a young and fun look.
- This new trend also breaks some old rules:
- Dark-skinned women have traditionally been advised to choose a deeper palette of reds but look how great Rihanna, Janelle Monet and Beyoncé looked at the Grammys! Those lips popped!
- Mature women are always told to shy away from strong colors (why, I ask?) Well, how about 86-year-old Oscar nominated actress Emmanuelle Riva looking so elegant and chic at the Academy Awards?
- Porcelain-skinned girls with blonde hair who are usually considered too fair to wear strong, statement colors just happen to look absolutely fantastic sporting this lip color.
- Who else looks good in this fashion? Platinum blondes, brunettes, red-heads, girls with cool skin tones and warm skin tones.
So, you heard it right here, ladies: There is now a universal lip color that transcends skin color, age and style! For those of you who feel tempted, don’t even ask If you should or not. Your only choice should be matte or shiny. Try it – it will change the way you move!
How to wear it:
- Keep the eyes neutral by concentrating mainly on the lashes and the lash line.
- Aim for a perfect lip line. If you need a lip liner choose one that matches the color exactly so it blends seamlessly. Any other shade will take the brightness down, which is no fun at all.
- The hair should look polished or minimal. Favor a ponytail, an up-do or soft shaped curls.
My favorite red lip products:
MAC: Lady Danger and Ruby Woo
NARS: Red Semi-Matte Lipstick in Joyous Red and Matte pencil in Dragon Girl
CK: One Color Pure Color Lipstick in Little Liar